December 03, 2003

A TIME OF INNOCENCE, A TIME OF CONFIDENCES (11/11/97)

How can you remember nothing, and yet remember everything?

I was so small when we would celebrate Hanukkah at my Aunt Leah's that I ought not hold claim to memories whatsoever. An only child, an only grandchild, I was raised in a circle bereft of contemporaries, dependent for family ties on a network of great- aunts and uncles and their children, all of whom were at least old enough to be my babysitters.

I was precocious, and spoiled, too. Aunts and uncles would poke each other to pay attention to some new wisdom that would emit from my three-year-old mouth. They would repeat it over again for fear that its profundity might not be properly savored: "Did you hear what Maisheleh said?" It was precisely the way one would expect immigrants to marvel at the mystery of new life, still in disbelief of having found refuge in Columbus’s bounteous land, still shaken by the holocaust that had so utterly devastated their towns, their families, their memories.

Chicago was sufficiently large and our lives sufficiently upscale that by 1953, our families could head their separate ways in relative obliviousness to each other's comings and goings. Few were the occasions that the Levin family still broke bread at a common table as they had done faithfully on Sabbaths and Holy Days while the patriarch and matriarch, my great-grandparents Maishe Yitzchok and Rochel Levinski, were still alive.

So Hanukkah became the annual catalyst for the Levins to reunite around that common table, as much a roll call for them as a homecoming:

Ellis the Gentle Giant bouncing me to dizzying heights on his shoulders. Penny the Nearly Bohemian, whom my father tastefully dubbed “the educated idiot.” Shirley and Martin and David, the idealistic young communists, undaunted, uncompromised, by McCarthy witch hunts and the Rosenbergs' executions.

Uncle Harry, who made and lost ten fortunes as the Bootleg Horseradish Czar of the Old West Side. Tart-tongued Auntie Levin, who fed my unsuspecting greenhorn grandmother pork chops as a crash course in the American lifestyle. Uncle Izzy, the most endearing schlemiel, self-taught electronics wizard, whose unfailing mantra through more bad times than good was, "Everything'll be all right.” And Uncle Abe, the timid musician who spoke little but entertained me ad infinitum with origami birds that he would fold out of dollar bills with the flourish of Mandrake.

But Hanukkah belonged to Aunt Leah, my grandmother's youngest sister, Uncle Izzy's wife, mother of Mary and Dolly and Penny the Nearly Bohemian and Ellis the Giant. Aunt Leah was a plodding woman of innocent wit and demeanor, more loveable than pathetic, less an adult than an overgrown child. The reason for Aunt Leah's state of perpetual childlike whimsy came yet from the Old Country, never spoken above an ominous whisper, divulged to me as part of my rite of passage to adulthood:

Dina, the oldest Levin sister, was married to the crotchety Uncle Louie, the notorious family scrooge and sire to the only Levin offshoots who could afford to buy clothes at Saks. Uncle Louie once got into trouble with the local Polish authorities and was thrown in jail. The youngest of Dina's sisters, Leah – a child of ten, fair of complexion, pigtailed like a peasant girl – was impelled to go to the jail and sneak a ration of food to Louie.

The guards seized her immediately. They tied her blonde pigtails to a horse and dragged her around the jail courtyard. Traumatized and bewildered, she never fully recovered, part of her psyche forever stunted at the age of ten. She occupied her days cooking heaping platters of simple foods in the Old Country manner and sewing delicate wardrobes for her collection of dolls, with whom she would engage in hushed conversation.

I remember little of the 1953 Hanukkah menu at Aunt Leah's. But I do vividly remember her mile-long dining room table overloaded with unfathomable mounds of Old World delicacies, an immigrant paean to America's bounty. I do remember resisting most of those delicacies, as a child typically resists dishes of odd name and curious texture, which did not stop doting aunts from heaping them compellingly on my plate. I do remember stuffing my already rotund form with Aunt Leah's thick, spongy potato latkes, the quintessential Hanukkah treat. And I do remember, my eyes glazed from gluttony, not comprehending my grandmother's grousing on the ride home that her latkes were superior to Leah's, because they were thin and lacy like the ones Bubbeh Rochel made in Suvalk.

I do remember shining faces of great aunts and uncles and babysitter cousins basking in each other's radiance around that abundant table, progeny of Maishe Yitzchok and Rochel Levinski, transcending for one sacred moment the compulsions that summoned each one to his or her own separate destiny. I do remember, with deference to Paul Simon, that it was a time of innocence, a time of confidences, most truly a Festival of Lights. I do remember that I was enveloped by a nurturing embrace of security and all's-wellness, the stuff of which unrequited mid-life yearnings and tears are made.

For all that I do not remember of Hanukkah at the tender age of three, that which truly endures I do remember, and crave, only too longingly. Wistfully I ponder among the tears, "Preserve your memories . . . they're all that's left you," and I cry a good cry for all that has gone and for all that I know shall, must, somehow forever abide.

No comments: