May 28, 2007

WOULD YA PASS THE GRAPES?

When has a rabbi ever had the nachas of exceeding the stature of an aristocratic goy? The instances are rare, but so it happened.

Recently, I was invited to deliver the invocation at a dinner, an organization that raises money for worthy causes. At the dais were seated celebrities, magnates of business, aristocracy. All them and me.

Shortly after being seated, the waiter placed before me the fruit-plate I had ordered. Next to me was an aristocratic woman wearing a gown that once belonged to Princess Margaret.
I saw the glint of her fork from the corner of my eye. A moment later, she announced, “That honeydew melon looks delicious. May I try some?” Before I could answer, she stabbed the fruit, and ate it with gusto. “Simply delicious,” she pronounced. “May I have another?”

The ravenous dowager was Mrs. Ben Heinemann, who owned the largest railroad from Mexico to Canada. I told her that my dad had commuted on her train. “Forget the trains,” she stopped me. “I see you aren’t eating your grapes. How about passing them over?”

By then, the waiter brought her dinner. She cut into it, discovering that it was pork, dry and stringy. “You can’t expect me to eat this,” she prated, calling over the waiter. “How can I get a plate like his?” pointing to my fruit. The waiter foolishly answered that he could not get another.

“Well, then,” she announced. “I’ll just have to share this one.” and reaching across me, partook in my apples, oranges, and more honeydew.

“How did you get so lucky?” she asked. “Are you a vegetarian?”

“No,” I’m Jewish,” I said, and briefly explained to her the rules of kashrut.

“Oh, and if I were Jewish I could get a fruit plate, too? What else do I need to do?

“You don’t need to anything else. Just tell them you’re Jewish.”

“And lie? What would God do to me?”

“Probably just laugh,” I told her.

She pondered for a moment and slipped me a $10 bill. “Here,” she said. “Go out and buy a bag of fruit, and the next time you want to go to Mexico, tell them that Mrs. Ben Heinemann sent you. Now pass me that last piece of peach.”

2 comments:

alex said...

http://prieslar.info/?search=jeja+gry+pl
http://prieslar.info/?search=Adrenalina
http://prieslar.info/?search=Moleskine
http://prieslar.info/?search=Kolacz+krolewski
http://prieslar.info/?search=Moulin+Rouge%21
http://prieslar.info/?search=50+cent+clip

Anonymous said...

Top Ten Reasons to be a Kosher Vegetarian

No one is offended when you only eat the fruit plate.

You can eat your tofu fried during the meal, instead of frozen afterwards.

Who cares if there’s no kosher butcher in your neighborhood?

Time you have to wait until eating dairy: until you’re hungry again.

Two sets of dishes = Shabbos and weekday.

Who cares about the outrageous price of kosher meat?

No concerns about shechitah!

Life as a kollel man in Israel won’t be such a shock, as you’re used to doing without meat!

Since you are passing on the bassar, you can focus on the yayin.

Two words — buttered challah.